- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 (8-ounce) slice manchego cheese, about 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Hot Garlic Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Set up 3 bowls: 1 with flour seasoned with salt and pepper, 1 with egg and 1 tablespoon of water and seasoned with salt and pepper, and 1 with the bread crumbs and ground almonds.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut cheese into 2 equal pieces.
- Dredge the cheese first in the flour, then in the egg wash, and finally in the bread crumbs.
- Place the cheese in a small cazuela, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is soft.
- Immediately drizzle with the Hot Garlic Vinaigrette and sprinkle with slivered almonds and parsley.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.
Hot Garlic Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons aged sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil over low heat in small saute pan.
- Add garlic and cook until light golden brown.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.