This is a tasty casserole, and the Gouda cheese can be replaced with a sharp Cheddar. I have used packaged roasted chicken cubes or pre-cooked rotisserie chicken in this when pressed for time.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or small shells
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded or cut in small pieces
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, optional
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water as package directs.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter; add flour.
- Cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream.
- Stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add pepper, to taste, along with parsley, if using.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the chicken and vegetables; cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Combine the sauce with cooked and drained macaroni;
- pour into a 2-quart casserole.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
- Serves 4 to 6.