- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos
- 5 fresh serrano chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Preheat broiler.
- If using fresh tomatillos, remove husks and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness.
- If using canned tomatillos, drain and measure out 2 cups.
- Broil chiles, garlic, and fresh tomatillos (do not broil canned) on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once, until tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 7 minutes.
- Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles.
- Purée all ingredients in a blender.