Ingredients For the cake:
- 9 egg whites
- 9 egg yokes
- 1 cups of sugar
- 1 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup melted butter but not hot (important!)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 nine inch spring mold greased and floured
Directions For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Note: It is better if you can use a free standing mixer so you don’t have to turn it off during the mixing process to add ingredients. If you are using a hand mixer have someone help so you don‟t have to stop.
- Using a mixer in a bowl, start whipping the egg whites. As they start to fluff, add the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Whip until stiff peaks.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, waiting between each one so that they are well incorporated before adding the next one.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder and adding one tablespoon to the mixture at a time. When the mixture is well incorporated, slowly turn off the mixer by gently reducing its speed.
- With a spatula fold in the butter which has to be added slowly and carefully or you will flatten the batter. Also remember the butter must not be hot, just melted. Wait until it is lukewarm before you incorporate it. Add the vanilla. Place the batter in the greased and floured spring mold and bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean without batter. Take the cake out of the oven and take out of the spring mold. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
3 Milk Mixture Ingredients:
- 1 cup of sweetened and condensed milk
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of the liquor Rompope, if you cannot find Rompope add another liqueur like Amaretto with whipping cream (¼ cup Amaretto plus ¾ cup whipping cream)
3 Milk Preparation
- In a sauce pan mix all the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Take the cake off the wire rack and place it on the plate on which you will be serving the cake. It becomes difficult to transfer after adding the milk so it is best to place it on its final resting plate.
- With a toothpick make as many piercing on the cake as possible. This will allow the milk mixture absorb into the cake. Add the milk mixture to the cake one ladle at a time. Wait one minute between ladles of milk so the cake can distribute the milk. When finished place the cake in the refrigerator.
Icing Ingredients :
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 pint of strawberries or raspberries
- Whip the cream in a mixer an hour before you serve the cake, adding the sugar early in the whipping process so it will dissolve properly. Whip until you have stiff peaks.
- Ice the cake with the whipped cream and decorate with the strawberries and/or raspberries.