- 453g warm water
- 13g instant yeast
- 737g bread flour
- 15g salt
- 75g sugar
- 38g milk powder
- 70g butter, room temperature
- Place water in bowl first, temperature should be 90-100 degrees
- Add remaining ingredients
- Mix on speed 1 for 5 minutes using dough hook
- Bowl may need to be scrapped down
- Mix on speed 2 for an additional 10 minutes to form gluten
- Bulk ferment in proofer for 20 minutes
- Scale 16 three ounce portions rounded
- Bench rest for 10 minutes
- Final shape and deposit onto parchment lined half pan
- Egg wash, seen garnish and score
- Proof in box for 15 minutes
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350
Proofing with out a proofing box
What you are aiming for: Yeast flourishes in a humid environment around 80° F (27° C). The moisture helps prevent dry skin from forming on the outside of the dough.
A few ways to simulate it…
Using your oven:
- Turn your oven on to the ‘warm’ setting. Let it set for 2-5 minutes. Turn off the oven.
- Cover your loaf pan or bread proofing basket with plastic wrap. Put it in the oven.
- Set a pan of hot water on a rack below the bread. Close door.
Using hot water:
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Cover bread pan or bread proofing basket with plastic wrap.
- Take pot of water off of heat and place a (heat safe) plate over the top. Place bread pan or basket on the plate.