- One 6-7 lb whole beef tenderloin or two 3 lb beef tenderloin butts
- 2 TBL kosher salt
- 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBL sugar
- 1/3 c plus 1 TBL olive oil
- 2 TBL bacon grease
- 1 TBL butter
- Trim tough fat from the surface of the tenderloin and you may have to cut between the meat layers to remove the larger pieces
- In a medium bowl combine the salt, pepper, and sugar before drizzling with 1/3 c olive oil
- Finally add the bacon grease, stir the mixture and set aside
- Heat a heavy skillet over very high heat, before adding butter and 1 TBL olive oil
- When the pan is very hot place the tenderloin in it to sear on both sides for 1- 1 1/2 min until the sides start to turn brown
- Place the meat on a baking pan fitted with a roasting rack and pour the seasoning / bacon grease mixture over the top. Rub the seasoning mixture into the meat with your fingers so it coats evenly.
- Insert a meat thermometer sideways into the thickest part of the meat and roast for 15-20 min until the thermometer registers 120-125F. Do not overcook!
- Remove the meat from the oven and allow it to rest on a cutting board for 10 min before slicing