- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef 80/20
- 1 yellow onion diced
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 10 ounce can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chilis
- 1 to 2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from can
- ½ cup barbeque sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¾ to 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or pepperjack
- 6 Hamburger buns
- Pickles for topping
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the beef over medium high heat until browned, drain the grease.
- Stir in the onion, brown sugar, Ro-Tel, chipotle peppers, barbecue sauce and mustard. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through and the flavors are combined.
- Slowly mix in the cheese and let cook for a few more minutes, until the cheese begins to melt.
- Spoon the mixture onto the hamburger buns. Top with pickles, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Recipe Notes
You can substitute the Ro-Tel and chipotle peppers with about 1 ½ cups of Green Chile Chipotle Relish available at KentRollins.com